Thursday, December 23, 2010

To Versailles and back again

This morning I woke up around 9:00 to some weird noises. Turns out that when people in the city move, they use what I would describe as flat bed cherry picker. I tried to get a picture but gave up. Sweet Jason was sound asleep, so I took to eating some “Frosties” (in other words Frosted Flakes) and watched some French Loony Toons.


Again we got a late start, but no big deal. I mean, we are on vacation and we’re just not as young as we use to bed. So off we went to the métro and then on to the RER (the suburban train) to Versailles. When we left the apartment, we basically had some flurries with no accumulation, but on the outskirts of town it was a whole different story. As we rode the train, we discussed how crazy our short walk from the train station to the palace would be until we were joined by a Santa playing the saxophone and someone else playing the accordion. You may not know this but I love accordion music in all it's stereo typical French glory. Enjoy the brief Christmas music video; I don’t show them because I didn’t want to give them any money.

The picture behind us is an advertisment for the ballet we're going to see at the Opera.

Trains go by fast

Window picture




We arrived, took the walk over to the castle (passing a McDo and a Starbucks) and headed through security. I’m sure some of you are unaware how crazy security is in these monuments but it’s basically like going through airport security.



Security Line

Gates to Versailles

In Versailles Jason impressed me with his French history knowledge explaining this and that, but what really got me was when we got to specific rooms and he was able to tell me the names of each room just by looking at the ceiling. At first I thought he was BS’ing me, but then he explained how he knew from the mythological symbolism and I could believe it. I took pictures of a few of the ceilings so you can experience them as well. This was by far my favorite part of the trip. Funniness ensued as we were swallowed up by an obviously American tourist group. Jason said to me, “Where the hell did all these people come from?” and I responded “America”. It was funny.

I loved that each room was a different color.


The Sun King


The Mars Room

The Diana Room

The Apollo Room

The Mercury Room

The Hall of Mirrors



As we finished up our adventure we headed to a brasserie. It was okay, but regardless we were hungry and the place was warm. I had chicken with mushroom sauce and Jason had steak haché. We then took the long way around town back to the train station by accident but it was fun and snowy.
Somewhere in town

The train back into Paris

Back in Paris it was finally snowing. As we transferred from the RER to the métro we saw the Liberty Torch replica (the underpass where Princess Diana died) – with the Eiffel tower in the background – so we could finally go see Galeries Lafayette. The store was ridiculously hot and full of people, so we snapped some pictures and headed out.


Umm... it's snowing in my eyes
Liberty Flame


Galeries Lafayette

Galaries Lafayette


We then rode out to La Défense to see the Grande Arche. To our surprise there was a massive Christmas market right under it. It was so cold that we had to stop and have a crêpe and hot chocolate before we headed back to town to see the Arc de Triomphe.
Grand Arch

Christmas Market



In the middle of the Grand Arch... it was very windy

Arc de Triomphe

Arc de Triomphe with snow falling

A brief walk down the Champs-Élysées concluded our snow-filled day.




Dinner of the night: Lasagna, green beans and baguette. Total price: around 6€, and we have bread left over, green beans left over and most of our camembert.



It’s still sinking in that we’re in Paris. Time is going too fast. I can’t believe tomorrow is Christmas Eve! But the good news about that is we’ve finally decided where we’ll go for Christmas Eve service. We’ll be visiting the Sacré-Cœur, since it’s in our arrondissement and one of my favorite cathedrals/basilicas in all of Paris.



3 comments:

  1. It looks so cold! But you both look wonderful! So when can we do a family trip so that Jason can be our personal tour guide? LOL I had never really wanted to go to Paris, but it is so beautiful, and now I REALLY must put a trip there on my bucket list. We will miss you and Jason this Christmas, but you both look so happy that missing you is worth it. Every time Courage goes out he runs to see if your car is still there, Then he runs off to be the leader of the pack. Kitty is an escape artist, she has gotten out the back door once, but cane right back in . Tonight I went into the garage to get something, and I guess she jetted out the door, so after about 2 hours I heard her meowing , I followed the sound opened the door and she ran in , and has since done at least 2 laps up and down the stairs at top speed. To funny Tomorrow dad and I are going to Church with Jackie and family. Then Greg and family will be over to open Christmas gifts. I will be putting Kitty in my room so she does not make a run for it with the kids going in and out. Well I am loving your pictures and all the information and stories of your adventures. I love you both very much and am so happy for you. Buy yourself some new shoes and take care of your feet! Hope Jasons snot is still clear, don;t forget to take time to cuddle and just enjoy the view. With all my love MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Watching a public TV special about Paris. How wonderful! Love Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reagan, the video didn't work. Jack

    ReplyDelete