Tuesday, December 28, 2010

The moat that once protected us now traps us.

Our first stop today was at l’Hôtel des Invalides. I have to admit the only thing I really knew about it was that Napoleon is buried there – that’s about it. And since I’m lazy, I didn’t bother to try to learn anything else about it because I figured there would be plenty of information there, and ultimately I really enjoy exploring and learning as I go. It was kind of strange because instead of being what I expected, everything was armor, swords and cannons. Normally those types of things do not bother me, but for some reason, I just had these weird feeling of unease the whole time I was there. I focused on taking pictures but after three rooms I had enough, and as we walked towards Napoleon’s tomb, we decided to forego any more of the war and artillery rooms. We ended up getting stuck in invalides for a bit because of a pesky moat. A long walk around the grounds lead us to the front again after Jason reading a little sign and saying "The moat that once protected us now traps us."



Eiffel Tower covered in fog.










Children armor

A sex cannon?!

Saddle



"The situation" armor lol
Napoleon’s mausoleum was fabulous and over the top as expected – certainly quite a nice resting place. I was surprised that others were in the same mausoleum, but other than that, it was as expected and my feeling of unease was gone for whatever reason.




Napoleon's tomb

Napoleon's view from his tomb





Do I look like I just saw a ghost? I probably did.



As a side note, since I didn’t learn anything about the Invalides, I went on their website to learn more and now I’m thinking the unease might have come not only from so many weapon that may have been used but also because the whole building was basically like a VA home where they were made to work and go to church daily. There is also a hospital on the grounds where 100 veterans at a time receive health care, and which is still active today. If you want to learn more about it check out http://www.invalides.org/.
From there we had lunch and then hoped to explore the Opera a little further. After the ballet they kicked everyone out, which sucked because we had hoped to explore. Well, turns out the building is open for touring only until 10:00 a.m.! So yeah, that didn’t happen. Next on the list was the Fragonard museum, which was actually really small but free. Sadly they didn’t allow pictures to be taken. We’ve decided Jason’s mom would have loved it there. I splurged on a 5€ purchase of rub-on perfume. I think I like it; guess I’ll have to try it out tomorrow.



Lastly we went back over to the Latin Quarter. Our plan was to find some paper for Jason, but somehow we ended up walking all over the place and never did find any paper. We went by this park that encloses an ancient Roman arena that I’ve been wanting to see, but it was closed. Figures! Then we went by two schools that Jason’s been talking about. They’re famous or something. ;) We went by the Panthéon again and through some markets.
Ivey at the park we couldn't get into

As they locked the gates there was nothing left to do but hug and take a picture




This plaque says "To the memory of the children, students of the school deported between 1942-1944 because they were born Jews, innocent victims of Nazi barbarianism with the active cooperation of the Vichy government. They were exterminated in the death camps. Let us never forget them."

Pantheon

Blurry picture of the Latin Quarter

Home Sweet Home!


All in all it was a pretty good day. We’re hoping to get a bunch seen tomorrow. The days are going by quick. I’m afraid we’re going to miss something awesome since we’re sleeping in so late, but it’s imperative for our health and break.



2 comments:

  1. You are a healer, not a warrior, so I understand your uneasiness . And yes you may not have seen a ghost, but you were feeling them. I am glad you are getting rest. You looked tired yesterday, but look happy and in love. Everyone here is happy glad you are having a wonderful time. LOVE YOU TWO MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha- like the situation armor!
    The children armor is creepy, though... And I'm just seeing it from your blog!

    ReplyDelete