Tuesday, December 21, 2010

French milk tastes just fine.

Our Cute little apartment in Montmartre.
This morning we woke up around 9 a.m. (2 a.m. back in TN) tired and sore from the journey across the “pond” and our massive backpacks. It’s really put our next summer backpack trip into perspective for me, packing light is the way to go. We hung out a bit and enjoyed the view before we headed out into town.







View from our apartment

















Our plan was to go to the Panthéon, but as we were changing métro lines, I decided I wanted to see the Madeleine Church. After that, we started walking and explored some areas around place de la Concorde. We walked forever before I found bus line 69, which I had read somewhere was a great bus to ride because it takes you by some amazing sites. We rode past the Bastille, the Louvre, Père-Lachaise Cemetery, and the new Opéra Bastille. At the end of the line, we got off and both had croque-monsieur and split a hot chocolate in a tiny little brasserie (it was just okay). Our next stop was Franprix for some water and delicious shortcake cookies, basically a rip-off of the “Petit écolier” cookies with skating hooligans instead of prim and proper schoolchildren. They were the cheapest we could find as we’re working very hard to keep our budget on track.




This one if for my dad. :)




We headed back into the city and made our way to the Panthéon via Notre-Dame. We decided not to go in at Notre-Dame due to the massive lines. Perhaps we’ll go later in the week, but we’ve been before so it was no big deal. We also had a chance to walk by the infamous winter outdoor ice ring and the Sorbonne.



"Plenty of room at the Hotel California" I saw this and had to snap a picture. :)


Our next stop was finally the Panthéon which was way better than I imagined it would be.


Joan of Arc and an angel.

Stairs to the tombs.


Mr. Braille




Sadly our camera died before we got to take all the pictures we wanted, so we decided it was time to head to the grocery and back home for dinner and laundry (we only have 2 towels). Again we’re budgeting our money carefully so we can see all the things we want. We’ve been enjoying plenty of bread and cheese and pre-made pain au chocolat. Tonight we also picked up some milk, which in France is not kept in the refrigerated section but rather in paper like containers on the shelf.


Real men do laundry!

Talking with my parents.

Dinner is served and for less than a couple Euros.


We took one more trip out to buy shampoo and conditioner and an extra pillow because Jason is congested – not sick, just congested, and I’ve been giving him Sudafed and Advil to help. Don’t worry, mom and dad, his snot is clear. We had to hit up the closest Monoprix, and it’s down in the red light district and across from the Moulin Rouge.



Lastly, Jason and I had to ready our apartment for Christmas, and since 3-foot real trees are 45€, we opted for something a little different. Back in November, I found a paper tree at Marshall for $5. We spent the last few minutes of our day putting together our little paper Christmas tree and enjoying cookies and milk à la française.




Yum, milk... and I'm sporting an FFA shirt. Does it get any better?


2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful day you have had, I love the wonderful pictures Have been waiting all day for this update and you did not let me down. However you took a pic just for your dad, just saying did not see mine...... :) All the babies are doing wonderful. everyone is having fun, I broke down and gave them their Christmas presents early . they like them. Love you take care and talk to you soon. Love Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I AM GLAD YOU ARE FRUGAL.THIS IMPORTANT IN FRANCE TOO. I AM GLAD JASON HAS CLEAR SNOT. IT IS HEART WARMING TO SEE YOU SO HAPPY. BE SURE AND GET SOME REST WITH THE REST OF YOUR TRAVELS.THE APT. IS VERY CUTE AND EVEN HAS A VIEW. YOU KNOW How TO LIVE ON A BUDGET. HEar, hear to you guys.
    Love,
    Dad

    ReplyDelete