Once upon a time there was a little girl who was promised a
kitten by her dad who hated cats. I’m not quiet sure why he promised such a
thing but not very long after the promise my mom and I went to the Brevard
county animal shelter. I remember the day, the way the building smelled and all
the kittens in the cages. I asked the woman which kitten had the least amount
of time left and she took me over to cage on the top left, a sweet black and
white kitten that had a purr like no other kitten I had met before, beautiful
green eyes and one more day to live. I
knew right then that this was MY cat. I
remember the excitement of taking her home, and the bright yellow kitten chow
box and her purr. The purr you could hear before you could see her.
Kitty Dot and I were in discussions on what we would call
her, she wanted to be called Kitty, but I thought she needed a little something
more…. After a watching our afternoon cartoons we decided on Kitty Dot, after Dot on the Animaniacs.
Kitty Dot has been the most amazing cat, baby, "sister" and
friend. She’s met and approved or disapproved of just about every person that
is in my life. As a matter of fact any if you reading this, or any of you that
have known me since the time I was around 11, you have surely met or heard about Kitty Dot.
She’s been through preteen angst, high school drama, loss, college, many many
moves, additional pets and the addition of a baby.
There are so many stories, so many moments and memories that
I want to share but I honestly do not have the words or brain capacity to do it
right now. Kitty Dot is very
uncomfortable now and continues to watch over me type and wait for her final
appointment. We are all too aware that her end is very near and wish it had
come naturally and sooner.
If you’ve met Kitty you know she has quite the personality.
She’s not afraid to let you know what she likes. Kitty Dot loved one thing more
than anything else in the word, and that would be Kelso. I never in a million years thought my sweet
old lady cat would fall so deeply in love with my little boy, but she did and
he did. As a matter of fact one of Kelso’s very first words was Kitty. She not
only tolerated him but she would seek him out even though I was worried he
would hurt her. She loved his little sticky hands petting her and didn’t even
mind when he would try to share a chair with her. I think it’s this love that
they share that is even more heart breaking to me. I’m not sure how long it
will take him to realize she is gone, but I have seen a change in the way he treats her. It is much sweeter and careful the
last few days, as if he is aware in some way… that she is not doing well. As a matter of fact, she had
stopped eating on Saturday and Kelso is the only one that could get her to eat (see the picture below). Kitty Dot also loved some other things
like most kitties do, she has always insisted on
having a full bowl of food at all times, she loved to sleep of plastic shopping bags, drink cold milk from my
cereal bowl, sleep in the sun, sneaking out of the house, run through the house
at midnight, licking and sniffing my eye lids when I sleep, knead my stomach and
Jason. Jason became Kitty Dot's number one companion over the years as my
allergy to her increased to the point that I was getting welt from touching
her. I think he holds a very special place in Jason's heart as well. She was his first "daughter" and first cat and first indoor animal. He had always been told he was allergic, turns out I was instead. It’s pretty amazing to think that when Jason “got me”, Kitty came along too…
so that’s 13 years that he’s had her in his life.
Having a cat for 19 years is something most people never
experience. I feel beyond lucky that we’ve had such great life together,
through all my moves and life stages and I am so glad that she’s been so
healthy up until this past year. I’m also grateful that Kelso and Kitty Dot got
to have the very very special relationship they have formed.
I do not know exactly what is on the other side but I am
hopeful that all our pets that have passed and our loved ones are waiting on
the other side for her. I have told her over and over the last few days that
it’s okay to give in, we are okay and that her friends of the past are waiting
on her but she is still fighting. Staying true to her personality to the end. Unfortunately
her body has given up and we can no longer prolog her life without causing her
pain. I'm typing my last few words and then we are on our way.
I ask for your continued thoughts and prayers as Kitty Dot
and I have this one last experience together and as she crosses over the rainbow bridge.
No comments:
Post a Comment